Auto insurance is expensive and recurring. Since every state has a mandatory insurance law of some sort, it is impossible to avoid a premium. Who would want to anyway? All you can do is try to manage how much you have to pay. Here are five tips to help you keep your auto insurance under control.
- Shop around once a year and every life event (marriage, kid moves out, etc). If you have points on your license and they drop off, get quotes soon after.
- Do not over-insure your vehicles. If you do not have a loan, it might be wise to only carry state minimum coverage.
- Look at your deductible. Can you afford a higher one? That will drop your premium right away.
- Consider allowing your insurance company to use a telemetric device. These install in your car and track your driving. Your current driving habits could save you money.
- Install an anti-theft device or buy a car that has a factory one installed.
One last tip would be to move. The city you live in could be affecting your premium more than anything else, especially in California where the most cars are stolen in the United States. For more tips, check out this post: 3 Ways to Lower Your Car Insurance Premiums.